Updated: Dec 3, 2019
While obtaining a traditional on-site college education isn’t likely to disappear any time soon, there’s fantastic evidence that getting an online education has some significant advantages to the classroom experience—and some of them may even be surprising!
With traditional colleges and universities facin callenges — including higher tuition, course shortages, and budget cuts force many students to search for alternative options.
There are six million taking at least one online course as part of their degree and nearly three million students currently enrolled in fully online programs.
Online education has clearly become one of the most higly selected higher education alternatives.
The continually improving reputation of online learning experience has helped fuel its expansion showing that online learning can be just as effective as face-to-face education.
1. Lower total costs: Online programs have proven to be a more affordable option than traditional colleges.
Though not all online courses offer less expensive tuition prices than traditional colleges, associated expenses like commuting and purchaeing physical books are almost a major cost effective option.
In addition, some online courses are also free. These free online courses can help students fulfill general education requirements.
2. Variety of programs and courses: Now-a-days, online courses offer just as many options as a traditional four-year university.
This means that no matter what students study, from nursing to neuroscience, they can find the courses or programs they need online.
Students can also earn every academic degree, from a career certificate or even a doctorate degree.
3. More interaction and greater ability to concentrate: While some expertsday that there is contradictory evidence about the rate of online student participation versus participation in traditional courses exists, one thing remains certain: Online courses offer more students the opportunity to participate in class discussions more easily than face-to-face class sessions.
Online courses rely on online participation in order to successful pass to the next level.
Some students even confess to having better concentration levels in online classes vs. one-on-one physical classroom due to the lack of classroom participation. The saying goes, "there is usally almost always is one slacker in the group."
4. Convenience and flexibility: Online courses give students the opportunity to plan study time around the rest of their day, instead of the other way around. Students can study and work at their convenience.
Course material is always accessible online. No need to o to the library or book store to find that your book is out of stock, or has already been checked out.
All of these benefits help students balance both work and family commitments with their education. Balance, cosistancy and committment is a mojor asset to an online course taker's success story.
5. Avoid commuting: Who likes snowstorms and thunderstorms? How about travelin in one or two in an aaverage college semeter? Bad weather days often result in colleges canceling classes to avoid putting commuting students at risk of dangerous driving conditions.
Instaed of missing important class sessions, students enrolled in online courses can always "participate" by attending online discussion boards or chat sessions. Online sessions ofter resulting a student turning in their work on time, with the conveince of having the option to watch live or pre-recorded lectures along with or reading materials.
Many students also find substantial savings on fuel costs with no commute for classes.
About the Author
Jennifer Carrington is J Carrington Business Acdemy's managing editor. Her work has appeared in the Business and Professional Women's Federation Spotlight Magazine, the 5 Star App Maker Blog Posts and in many other publications. She has also written with various corporate clients like, entrepenuer Valerie Daniels Carter CEO of V and J Foods, and business owner of over 140 franchices including Burger King, Pizza Hut and Haagen Dazs Ice Cream. Jennifer is the author of It's Your Business et Informed, Get Inspored and Get Going and App Design Basics for Professionals. She lives outside of the Woodlands, Texas with her husband, and two children. Read more about Jennifer Carrington